Tummy Tuck Surgery – Complete guide for perfect contour
Tummy tuck or Abdominoplasty procedure removes excess fat with skin from the abdomen and tightens the abdomen muscles to give a flat contour. The umbilicus is re-positioned to a natural youthful position. It is also a component of the ‘Mommy Makeover’ where tummy tuck is combined with Breast Lift surgery to get back the pre-baby body contour.
Everyone desires a smooth contour and a firm abdomen. Usually, this is achievable by regular exercise and diet. Not everyone can obtain a well balanced aesthetic figure. There are many factors at play other than our laziness like ageing, rapid weight loss and multiple pregnancies.
Also, not all tummy tyres are simple fat deposition that can be removed by exercise alone. There may also be excess skin and lax muscles. Tummy tuck surgery provides a stunning transformation of the abdomen and waistline by removing this excess skin and tightening the abdominal muscles.
If you are looking to correct your contour, you may require a tummy tuck surgery. You may book a consultation right now and discuss your goals with our consultants at length. At Kalpana Aesthetics we evaluate your body as a whole and give you the most comprehensive and customised treatment plan.
Ok, you may be wondering:
Why do I have a protruding abdomen even after careful diet and regular exercise?
There are a lot of factors to blame other than yourself so don’t fret.
As we age our tissues loose collagen and elastin. These are tissue protein structures that give the skin the ability to stretch and then come back to the same form. Sooner or later it will happen to all of us. Nothing can stop ageing.
Our body shape and size is governed by the genetic information carried in the DNA. Not much can be done about that except that by looking at our folks we can have a fair idea of what might become of us in the future.
Pregnancies or prior surgeries
Multiple pregnancies or previous surgery may weaken the abdominal muscles. Our abdomen has just one solid wall, and that is our back. The rest is held in place by the abdominal muscles from one side the other. Lax muscles spread out let the abdomen protrude.
Yeah, you read that right. Even after regular exercise sometimes stubborn fat pockets remain and that is not your fault. Stubborn fat can only be removed with surgery.
Now You need to read this first:
What Abdominoplasty can’t do for you?
Abdominoplasty is not a weight reduction tool. It is not a substitute for a healthy diet and exercise. It is a sculpting tool to correct the body contour problems. It will not help you to decrease your weight.
Although abdominoplasty technically gives permanent results, these are significantly reduced if you allow excess fat deposition. So will still need to exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet.
If you are considering future pregnancies, it is a good idea to postpone abdominoplasty till the time you complete your family. Tissue stretching can diminish the positive results
Who are the best candidates for Tummy Tuck /Abdominoplasty?
Any adult person with loose abdominal skin, abdominal muscle weakness due to ageing or multiple pregnancies and localised lumps of fat, who wants to enhance her/his aesthetic appearance can opt for a Tummy Tuck, provided there is no other risk factor like heart disease, renal disease etc.
If there is any other risk factor a proper consultation and an extensive discussion with the treating physician is mandatory to define the risk-benefit ratio clearly.
So, You may be a good tummy tuck candidate if, you are physically healthy, you have a stable weight, you have realistic expectations, you are a non-smoker, and you are bothered by the appearance of your abdomen.
You should get a tummy tuck only for your self, not to fulfil someone else desires or to fit in some ideal body shape.
The next step would be to consult with your Cosmetic surgeon.
What should you expect during a consultation for tummy tuck surgery?
Be prepared to discuss your goals and expectations, fears and doubts in details. Let your surgeon know about any other medical conditions or allergies that you may have, medical treatments or surgeries that you may have had
Please don’t be shy.
What happens in Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Although the exact details will differ between patients and institute a generalised summary would be as follows.
You are asked to come to the surgical suite at least 2 hours before the time slot allotted for surgery. It essential to reach on an empty stomach. You will be given time immediately before the surgery to discuss any last minute doubts with the surgeon. Once you are ready, you are taken to the operation theatre. You will remain asleep under the effect of general anaesthesia throughout the surgery. When you wake up, you will be in the Post-op suite, and your operation would have finished.
Now instead of going into the details of how the surgery is performed, we thought it was a better idea to summarise the most important points.
- Before the operation, the surgeon draws out all the incisions and discusses the same with you.
- The incision is given in such a way that the final scar is formed below the undergarment line.
The extra skin of the lower abdomen is removed along with excess fat.
- Rest of the area is contoured with liposuction.
- The abdominal muscles are tightened, and any a hernia is corrected at the same time.
- The new youthful looking umbilicus is created at the appropriate level.
- The surgery takes 4-5 hours to complete.
- After the surgery, the effect of anaesthesia and analgesics used at the time of surgery gradually wear off. Even before you start to perceive pain ‘Pain-killer’ medication is administered either as injectable or orally for up to 5 to 10 days depending upon your pain tolerance.
What are the After-Surgery instructions and precautions?
- Immediately after the surgery, you will be shifted to the ward and a couple of days of hospital stay may be required.
- You can begin walking under supervision from the next day. But we advised minimal movement for the first week.
- You should not strain, that is you are encouraged not to pull, push or lift any heavy object.
- Although there are no diet restrictions, it is advisable to eat easily digestible food.
- Routine work can be resumed after 2-3 weeks after the surgery depending upon your pain tolerance and stitch line healing.
- Please read and follow the Post Operative Instruction sheet carefully.
Dr. Vishal Purohit
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Get In Touch
What is Tummy Tuck ?
Tummy tuck is medically called ‘Abdominoplasty’. It is a group of procedures designed to remove the sagging belly.
What are the benefits of Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty ?
- After extreme weight loss or multiple pregnancies, stomach muscles can become distended, and diet and exercise alone cannot help. A tummy tuck surgically tightens weak muscles, while removing excess skin and fat, to flatten the abdomen.
- After an Abdominoplasty, patients may notice that their posture has improved significantly, thanks to the tightened muscles supporting their spine.
- The improved support and better posture can have the added benefit of relieving certain types of back pain.
- Abdominal wall weakness caused by massive weight loss or surgeries like C-sections or appendectomies can cause a ventral hernia, where the intestine or abdominal tissue breaks through the abdominal wall and forms a pocket or sack. Abdominoplasty Surgery corrects
Who are the best candidates for Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty ?
Any adult person with loose abdominal skin, abdominal muscle weakness due to ageing or multiple pregnancies and localized lumps of fat, who wants to enhance her/his aesthetic appearance may be considered for Tummy Tuck, provided there is no other risk factor like Heart disease, Renal disease etc. In such cases, proper consultation and an extensive discussion with the treating physician is mandatory to clearly define the risk-benefit ratio. You may be a good tummy tuck candidate if, You are physically healthy and at a stable weight, You have realistic expectations, You are a nonsmoker and You are bothered by the appearance of your abdomen.
When will I see the results ?
You may begin to appreciate the results from around 1 week after the surgery. Although it takes 6 months for complete tissue remodelling and appearance of final results. Tissue healing takes 4 to 6 weeks. There will be mild swelling for 3-4 weeks. There is no need for any suture removal because all sutures are placed inside the skin.
Is Tummy Tuck safe?
Abdominoplasty is a safe surgery which is commonly performed world over. Still, like all surgical procedures, there are risks related to the surgery, anaesthesia and sutures. Please read the Abdominoplasty Informed Consent document thoroughly and completely to understand the risks involved.
Is it possible to have Tummy Tuck without surgery ?
Unluckily, Non-Surgical Tummy Tuck alternatives do not exist and one has to go for Tummy Tuck Surgery only. No matter how hard you try with exercise, dieting and a healthy lifestyle it will not be possible to get the results which you will get after Surgery. Although these are absolutely essential for a healthy body. Once the skin has become saggy and the abdominal muscles have lost their tone the best results can only be obtained by Tummy Tuck Surgery
How Much does Tummy Tuck cost ?
Each person has different needs and procedure followed may have different steps. Also, it differs from centre to centre. But generally saying it is affordable considering the wonderful and permanent results it gives and restores the youthful body shape.
A beautiful slim waist is every women and men’s dream. No one likes their sagging belly. Most importantly people fail to realize that the belly which is not going even after exercise is not due to extra fat but lax skin and muscle. Ageing, rapid weight loss and multiple pregnancies make the abdomen skin loose and the abdominal muscles lax …